Songwriting Tips From Dean Lewis – Be Alright | Songwriting Academy

►► Download the 7 Step Song Planner for FREE – http://songwritingacademy.com/planner/

In this video, multi-platinum songwriter Martin Sutton breaks down Dean Lewis’s breakout single, “Be Alright”.

Comments

Larry Green Music says:

I like everything about this song except the line "born to find". I thought that was a little too preachy. I would say "gonna find" instead. Thanks for the song analysis. I always learn something.

Lawrence Walker says:

Thanks for all your help Martin.

PianoMan 2018 says:

It’s sad being dictated on how to write today’s music by the big record companies. Wow, I’m a writer from the 80s and 90s and much of the audience of today wouldn’t get it, because the music is too good and not rushed.
Have you ever heard of Harry Chapin? Timeless. okay, HOW MANY SONGS CAN HAVE THE I-V-VI-IV, OVERUSED CHORD PROGRESSION?????, like this song.
Come on writers, change it up.Look at the songs by EARTH WIND AND FIRE. Like, “After the Love is Gone.” These kids of today have no idea what GREAT/TIMELESS music is.
I’m all about simplicity but I shy away from that canned progression because it’s been soooooooo overused as of late. You’d better have one heck of a melody line to not make that boring progression NOT sound boring.
You have a great voice. Next time, please do a song from the 60s-90s. The writers of today (The ones who ACTUALLY understand music theory and don’t use computers to contrive the chords/melodies), need more exposure to the Manilow, Joel’s, Elton John’s, and Barbra Streisand’s.
Study some producers: Quincy Jones, David Foster and the like.
Those are the musicians we need to study. Their lyrics are deep, heartfelt and not contrived on merely a rhyming necessity.
Music died around 1994 and honestly needs a triumphant return. Accommodating this “short attention span” doesn’t cut it. It’s making EVERYTHING SUFFER.

tabletop581 says:

top analysis – and your singing voice isn't bad either

Delta Vista Studio says:

Great stuff as always Martin.
Thank you!

Guy Pelletier says:

Love your analysis of the songs you do Martin! – Guy

richard t says:

It’s a good song but the first verse sounds really gabbled so it’s hard to understand the whole cigarette thing. The bit "and my friend said" is a cool idea without the music but the way it's presented makes it sound more like a novelty than something heartfelt. I guess its all a bit gabbled but the second verse is excellent. I guess the first verse I just don't like. It sort of reminds he of She's Leaving Home, the bit about meeting a man from the motor trade. It's weak but they may never have record the rest if they waited to change it. Sometimes you have to go with what is there and hope people see it as integral to the song.