Music Theory Lecture: The Elements of Jazz Explained!

In this episode I will explain all the Jazz progressions you need to know and improvise over to be able any standard. I will good over the standard progressions and the most common relationships between them. This will also help you quickly memorize any Jazz tune quickly.

Links To Follow:

If you are interested in purchasing The Beato Book please email me at rickbeato1@gmail.com

Skype Lessons are available on a limited basis. If you are interested please write me at rickbeato1@gmail.com

If you would like to support my video creation, you can hit the SUPPORT button on the sidebar of my main page

YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/RickBeato

Artist Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/rickbeatoproduction/

Personal Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/rick.beato.1

Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/rickbeato1/

Follow On Twitter – @rickbeato

www.nuryl.com

www.rickbeato.com

Comments

Claudia Chavez says:

What does all of this have to do with "Jazz" this information is for all music in all cultures

Hakura says:

Very helpful. Thank you very much!

BluesLicks101 says:

WHOOOOOOSH! That is the sound of Rick flying over my head again. Jay Mill's suggestion of examples would be a lifeline. Sorry I'm so stupid… I am sitting here guitar in hand trying to play my own examples of this – played a lot of jazz in my youth but was oblivious to the theory holding it together, trying to finally "get it" now. Understanding the sonic nature of each voice leading will be huge. I am noticing all of these axamples seem to descend.

A. Nilla-or says:

apparently my intelligence is not enough for this tutorial. thanks for sharing anyway 🙂

Diego Martinez says:

Can someone tell me what previous knowledge I must have in order to understand this video?

Eric Griffin says:

Mr. Rick, on which page is this in your book? Is it 324? Thank you. I am not from a Jazz background. I find this highly interesting as I love improvising. I bought the book because of this video. Thank you so much for all the effort and knowledge. Thank you, again.

Emelie hartrampf says:

when he says minor two five one, he means that it resolves to minor one rather than major bc of the minor key right

James McGrillen says:

34 dislikes were the product of people watching while drunk, and were so pissed they hit the wrong button.

powergirl901 says:

Sorry love their performance here, but I bailed.

Thom Carter says:

Great overview

Timothy James says:

God bless good soul!
Hare Krishna/

Hristo Velev says:

That's amazing, thanks Rick!

Peter Harrison says:

Rick–those are "backdoor" II-V's. Basically, a IVm7 to a VII7 to a I (Bbm7-Eb7-Fmaj7.) It's a pretty common jazz progression.

Nicholas Gross says:

Thank you for this! I’m a college student and have taken classes on jazz, but this is the best explanation of jazz music I’ve ever seen… I love to play improvisationally but am kind of stuck in a box when playing to certain songs because I was having trouble understanding the changes in key, but this is really helping me… I looked back at “Girl from ipanema” after watching this video and it’s immediately clear what key I should be soloing in through the changes… Appreciate you sharing this, it’s hard to learn jazz when most lessons are people telling you which fret and string to play rather than explaining the musical significance of what they’re playing. This will help my practice schedule so much

jasneskis says:

Explanation too fast and your chart needs to be written darker so it is visible. Writing is too light to read. This explanation is over my head as can't see your chart.

Stefan von P says:

Thank you Rick!

joe Bruno says:

Over the past 40 years, I applied a life changing technique taught to me while I had gigs with Herb Ellis. The key element I learned was to “learn all I could and forget about it.”. With only six months at the Navy School of Music, ( and a family jazz legacy dating back to the beginning of jazz) I grew a concept and practice of learning progressions and relationships while performing with listening musicians. I performed with Berklee icon John LaPorta from the time he retired until his last gig before his passing in 2004. Many of these gigs were also with Berklee Guitar program founder, Jack Petersen, who was in Sarasota for several years. They knew of my learning system and would constantly find common elements with what they knew and taught. It’s amazing that I understand and also hear the chords and relationships going through my head as single thoughts. Thanks so much for what you do. If we were to play together, you and I would be cruising real time in the outer limits! I am a bassist who creates with a young and brilliant guitarist Dovydas (on YouTube)

Rich Lobb says:

Rick, your knowledge of the construction of music is great. Your really advanced in your knowledge and your ability to teach this stuff. I am not a musician but a hacker on the keyboard. I am trying my best to keep up to you but any gains I experience are all due to your teaching abilities. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge in a way that allows us hackers to better understand the fundamentals better.

badGamr says:

The devil's interval…

COOLBIAN57 says:

I love music but I just don't know how to make it worth the amount of time it would take for me to get good. I consider it a great hobby but definitely not a way to make money.

Piano Man says:

This is such gold, Rick. Truly, truly appreciate this information being broken down as a young jazz musician trying to understand progressions.

Brian Cunningham says:

My parents helped me pay for an expensive music degree. I learn more here for free. Thanks Rick so much.

vincent spaulding says:

Thanks Rick

chanchal das says:

Sir if you play the piano and describe all the matter, i think it will be more helpful. Thankyou very very much.

Jim Baritone says:

Airegin at full speed can still push the envelope – and I learned it in 1975, LOL.

Ricardo Neves says:

this is a great lesson. There's material here to be dissected for years of study! Thank you Mr. Rick Beato.

ooo ooo says: