Music Theory Basics Revisited (with white board)

In todays episode we review the basics of Music Theory that EVERYONE should know.

THE BEATO CLUB → https://flatfiv.com/pages/become-a-beato-club-member

BUY THE BEATO BOOK HERE → http://bit.ly/2uTQFlo

MY HELIX PRESETS →https://flatfiv.com/products/rick-beato-helix-pack-1

KEMPER PROFILES → https://bit.ly/2SqvzmO
Follow my Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/rickbeato1/

**Advanced Harmonic Concepts for Composition and Improvisation Video Course** → www.flatfiv.com

BEATO MUSIC FORUM → forum.rickbeato.com

Mike Voloshen
Ashley Thompson
Matt Pauley
Peter Pillitteri
Jeremy Hickerson
Travis Ahrenholtz–

Comments

Thomas Wright says:

I love the way you teach this stuff. It's all fresh, even though I haven't herd it in (over) thirty years. BTW my teachers called it 'The Mesa College Key'. 😉

Tom Hamrick says:

"Have you ever heard it taught this way" @ 11:20 — better question is why would you teach it this way? Why do I care that to learn the terms Supertonic etc? I, ii, iii etc is just fine.

Jon Fox says:

Love this channel. Been watching for months on a shared machine in our living room. I only now subscribed on my YouTube account. I've also signed up to The Beato Club. The book is next. I'm a live audio engineer/drummer. Getting back to guitar after many years away. These theory vids are the bomb. Thanks Rick. (N.J. born living in Australia) G'day from the great brown land.

Staminist says:

@Rick, you make my day with EVERY video you upload! As a matter of fact, you refresh the memories of people who already know this, yet it was thrown somewhere in the back of our minds – so thank you for reminding us!
Although (I would add), in Europe – we name things WAY different, as an example – the tone B, we call it H and H flat is B. And we don't usually say 'sharp' or 'flat' XY, but rather make things easier. Example – F# – instead of saying sharp, we add '..is' to F, which would be "Fis". Same goes for D# (Dis) or G# (Gis), while when referring to flats the "..is" changes to "es", so Db becomes 'Des', Cb becomes 'Ces', Gb – "Ges", etc… except (!!!) H flat, it is B (H is the B here).
While one would argue that the cradle of music and masters of composing used these names, I don't care – just wanted to point these out to anyone willing to learn a bit more 🙂

steve knight says:

I feel like someone just found the light switch..

Bill Lancaster says:

I didn’t mind your ahhhhs. In fact I think you are a wizard of them.

GordonEveryDeuce says:

Incredible vid I just wish (as someone who’s self taught by ear) that I could hear these chords as you say them. Just to get a like musical muscle memory going.

Manish lama says:

I completed all of that bt now i dont know where to go after this
Please suggest where to go after this

Jo Zen says:

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father.
Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle.

Preston Rickwood says:

I've heard all these Greek names for the modes since I was learning mountain dulcimer as a child, but they never clicked for me until just now, 40 years and 10 instruments later. Seeing the geometry of the relationships between the half-steps really opened up my eyes.

I've always played by ear, but I'm trying to learn to compose and that takes a better understanding the modes and degrees. Thank you sincerely for your work here on YouTube.

Ronnie Wrong says:

Thank you for this. I know how to read. But nothing about modes. Thank you

Destiny Fan says:

The notation used in Modplug and other trackers is much more streamlined.

Mike C says:

Great stuff as always, Rick! May I suggest a Practical Application of Music Theory for Beginners video, wherein you instruct us on writing a basic rock or country song (just one verse, one chorus, one solo and maybe a simple bridge, for example)? You pick a key for the song, then diagram the chords for that key. Then diagram the notes for the chords and show us how to capture those notes on the guitar in practice. Then pick a mode for a basic solo, diagram the notes for the solo and show us the best way to play those notes. Very basic for you, I know, but it would be worth volumes for me to see the theory that I'm trying so hard to learn put into practice by a professional. Many thanks for all you do!!