INTERVALS Explained – Major Minor Perfect Augmented Diminished intervals [Music Theory]

Complete Chord Mastery course: https://www.musictheoryforguitar.com/chords-and-harmony-guitar-lessons.html

Master of the Modes course: https://www.musictheoryforguitar.com/scalesandmodesguitarlessons.html

Intervals have been a source of confusion for musicians from the very beginning of music theory.

And honestly this is understandable.

First of all, I’m always surprised at how many musicians don’t even know what an interval is…

… but even when they do – there’s no denying that the naming scheme that we use for intervals does not make much sense at fist sight.

There are major and minor and perfect and augmented and diminished intervals… and some of them are the ‘same’ interval, but at the same time they are not the same interval! (augmented 6th and minor 7th anyone?)

(If you let out a shriek at the mention of “augmented 6th”… I understand!)

At the same time, intervals have also been a source of fascination for all songwriters who realise how they can be used to create new sounds in the same-old chords.

Intervals are the ‘gate’ that takes you to new sounds and new places in your music.

And while – maybe – it’s true that we music theorists we could have done a better job at naming them in a clear way…

… you still need to understand them is you want to go to the next level in understanding music theory.

So in this video we talk about intervals and we finally explain how they work from the very start, and with all the details.

If you like this video, share, like, comment & don’t forget to subscribe for more content!

Need help with music theory for guitar? Check out these FREE resources: https://www.musictheoryforguitar.com/guitar-music-theory-free-resources.html

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/musictheoryforguitar
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicTheoryForGuitar
Twitter: https://twitter.com/theoryguitar
Website: http://musictheoryforguitar.com

Comments

Vaughan MacEgan says:

And very nice to see you too. I recognise that face and that accent! I didn't know that you had a YouTube channel! I know the basics of intervals intervals but picked up a few new things. Thanks for the vid.

Atom-T says:

Not exactly how I was taught intervals but it works this way to express intervals too. Long as the student understands what you are saying and can do it on their own, the method works

Ohmuseek says:

thank you so much for your videos, nice way to explain concepts.

Reanz Cruz says:

Where can i see a quiz for this? Anyone?

Karun Komatpally says:

I am no expert I am no beginner , I could to grasp most of the details yet I happen to not follow 10:54. I mean whats the deal with having variations when we are moving 3H.S.

By the way , awesome video. I happened to reach here as I was going through reddit. Kudos.

Martin Rhodes says:

Man – that’s so instructive. Thank you. You, Rick Beato and Mike Beatham are the very best on music theory on You Tube.

J Prapud says:

This is the best music theory channel i ever seen

Alex Von Breslau says:

I just came across your channel recently. Once I watch all your videos I’ll be a genius

Richard Jordan says:

Intervals: Who are you!?!?!?
InterVAS: I'm you but better!!

Seriously though…thanks for the great lesson!!

John Di Raimo says:

Pianists and guitarists unite. All musicians need to master intervals. Great video Tomasso.

Pipu Ta says:

Thanks a lot, wanna attend your class !

nedomedo says:

Feels good that I knew all of this (though I couldn't explain it this good), even though I've never really studied theory. The video is still very helpful!

Tark McCoy says:

There's a mathematical beauty in this that is just beyond the reach of my understanding. I believe I need to apply the [REPEAT] button…

stringchild says:

The minus 9 idea was really cool. So many tricks to make it easier. Even when you have an excellent grasp on these intervals. Nice job Tomasso (if I spelled that right). I always run into musicians who are weak on this concept. It really helps your chord voicing capabilities.

Francis S. says:

can i ask a question about my playing.
Whenever I play guitar, I am so much distracted to what I see and what I've heard in my surroundings.. I lost focus all the time.. what would be the best advice for me? thank you!

instrumentenfreak says:

This is much easier in English than in German.
We have 4 different names for ‚B‘ (H, hes, B, Bb) and the intervals have complicated names:
Prime, Kleine/Große Sekunde, kleine/große Terz, Quarte, übermäßige Quarte=Tritonus=verminderte Quinte, Quinte, Sext, Kleine/Große Septime, Oktave… in prime school most kids struggle with those names xD

Timmy Spencer says:

I know intervals, should I watch this?

It's Tomasso Zillio, of course I'll learn something new.

I was not disappointed. Thanks as always for your time and knowledge.