Home recording Mixing Tips Ep.3 Mixing guitars that have been overdubbed

This is Episode 3 In this lesson I will talk about how I mixed the guitars in the song I am using is called “Breaking Away” by Max Rougier watch Episode 1 for more details about his song. I am using Garageband 09 but the mixing tips & concepts will apply to all multi track recordings.

Comments

GaragebandandBeyond says:

…. run your “Disk Utility”

onishukablue says:

no.. what should i do?

GaragebandandBeyond says:

That sounds like a software problem. Have you run the disk utility recently?

onishukablue says:

i can’t add a new track in garageband..i did with the + button and i did go to file menu and add new track but it won’t let me add a new track..so can you tell me how to add new track.? thanks for the answer..

formerlyknownas09 says:

I like your shirt haha

GaragebandandBeyond says:

Hey there,
I use Garageband w/ some plugins for everything I do. Check out the SunshineSupermanPA channel to hear what kind of quality you can get very easily!

JayIbanez87 says:

What’s up Lewin, first I want to thank you for these videos, I’m really learning so much from them. My question to you is do you use another recording software, or do you use garageband for all of your recording, mixing, and mastering needs. I’m debating on whether to buy logic, or if I can get a great sound with garageband, and a few 3rd party plug-ins

mburton12 says:

This may be really obvious but how do you input the electric guitar parts?

stevenrharwood says:

your the frickin man

rawguitarguy says:

You’re so right.

calling0ut says:

Yes because you are so professional with all your videos that you have on your youtube site.. oh wait.. just checked you don’t have any..

calling0ut says:

calling0ut says:

pedroparamo9 says:

yes you are right¡. Logic Pro it’s better, and both they’re compatibles. Good music¡.

pedroparamo9 says:

pedroparamo9 says:

hi¡, I think Logic Pro is far better software, it’s professional and it’s a “big brother” of Garbage band, I recommend you, and Mac think it’s a big step into the musical production, even more, they’re both compatibles¡…recently I’ve tried Logic PRO and it’s great, like the other Pro software ( Protools, Cubase, etc.)

VcookiemonsterV says:

minimizing your tools often yields greater results and more creativity. really, garageband is all you need as far as production unless you are stepping into more electronic stuff. It’s the song that does the work. production is just showcasing what the song is already doing.

LearnBadRockGuitar says:

I have a technical question. For the first time I hooked up my guitar to Garageband and it sounded fine. The part that confused me was that when I played it back after applying one of the amp simulators, I got this inescapable buzz that ruined the track. There was no such buzz when I wasn’t using the amp simulator. Is there any way to get rid of that buzz? I would greatly appreciate your response, because I haven’t been able to find the answer anywhere else. Thanks, Lewin.

mhiof says:

dude, i love all your videos. very helpful.

timmylikesgenesis says:

how do you take a video of the screen? is it a screenshot thing on the computer??

Tviruskillu says:

I have my music on my profile man. And I still like Garageband but Logic is my latest investment. I’ll still use Garageband for certain things but when I get Logic then I’ll have something better.

pedroparamo9 says:

There are a lot of limits in garbage band, the sample rate (44.1) vs professional software 192 khz, the plug ins are very bad, the worst, but we must to try the real amplifiers, effects, and dynamics processors…that’s the real sound, the real music, not the emulations.

pedroparamo9 says:

hi¡, that would be fine to listen your tracks¡, that would be more appropriated…
but I’ve tried another software like Protools, Cubase, Wavelab, Reason, etc. and another format plugins, like VST, RTAS, TDM, Sound forge… and I can say, Garage band is not the best option, is good, but not the best. But if we can listen your wourk, it would be better. thanks.

TreyArmstrong01 says:

Did you use a midi controller on this or just the keyboard on your computer?

Tviruskillu says:

Garageband is Logic with a simpler skin. It runs off the same power and system as Logic does. It is not a toy. You can go way in depth with it. Don’t be dissing on Garageband just because it came free with my laptop.