Dr. B Music Theory Lesson 2 (Minor scales, Intervals)

TOPICS
1. Minor scales using a key signature
2. Intervals

Comments

Peter Won says:

Dr. B. You made me realize I should’ve joined band. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! ❤️

The Bow Djangos says:

howdy! As a nerdy guitar teacher I know most of this stuff but I enjoy watching it and your very well explained take on things from a teachers perspective…. great job! I wish I could tell all of my students to just watch your vids lol!

David Woodard says:

I am not yet sure what level your fantastic videos are aimed at in your classroom, but in respect to major/minor relations, I wonder why theory teachers always aim for the more challenging key relationships as they attempt to illustrate these instead of showing & playing the simple concepts first as I just found on Wikipedia: C minor forms so the changes in accidental on 3rd, 6th & 7th scale degrees are relatively apparent, without throwing out double flats and sharps…? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_scale)…So the novice student can more easily see and hear the changes in their simplest form.
Also, Why is it not OK to say the relative major is a minor third down C to a for example rather than a Maj. 6th up? davidcwoodardjr@gmail.com / http://www.musicedconsultantsinc.com/

Alf Sanford says:

Thank you so much for having this up- it seems like it'll be an invaluable resource in my journey through music. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Excited to go through the entire course (maybe a couple times).

허영숙 says:

so helpful Dr. Brellochs thank you
I am studying English and music with your videos

Dana Harris says:

Excellent lesson. I understood the concept of Augmented/Diminshed/Major/Minor but never understood exactly how it was all derived.

Erik Perez says:

Hi professor, why is the natural minor scale called the “natural minor” why isn’t the 2nd degree/3rd degree called natural minor?

SUN MI JIN says:

Best music theory lectures ever!

gamzer says:

So Eb to A# is not something we analyse as an interval when we see it written in notation. But if I was asked to pick out that interval I would hear a perfect 5th. So in that case to notate it, should I be writing Eb to Bb instead?

Hfd Okoy says:

Hi Professor. I was searching for Academic, Educative, Instructional videos for Music Theory. for a while, I find few. But, your videos they are the number One. Thank you for helping us. I wish I have these videos when I was a kid. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” Charles Dickens. Thank you Professor.

Hfd Okoy says:

Hi Professor. Can you explain to us please. When we have to use natural minor vs harmonic or melodic. Thank you.

El Si Congru says:

Even if I already knew this, having it explained again was AWESOME
Thanks professor!

El Si Congru says:

Even if I already knew this, having it explained again was AWESOME
Thanks professor!

Lu Lu says:

Hello Dr Brellochs, thanks for the amazing video! Your teaching is incredibly clear and charming:-)

I was wondering if you could spare some time to make a few videos on music history? You mentioned that the reason why there are only perfect 5, no major 5, is discussed in history so I am very curious about that.

I am trying to learn some basic harmony and your videos really help me!

jax win says:

Hi professor, could you tell me, what is the name of the book on that table? Thank you.