Do You Need MUSIC THEORY To Write Songs?

———————
Learn more about songwriting on my blog:
Make your songs stand out with my book “The Addiction Formula”:
http://tinyurl.com/addictionformulabook (on Amazon)
Learn how to write, notate and program live drums here:

———————
Holistic Songwriting on Facebook:

Holistic Songwriting on Twitter:

Comments

Mr. Free says:

I agree with this you don't need the classical or Jazz music theory, you can use it to spice it up but even some program will do it for you, they'll give you spicier chord progresssions and rhythms, but you certainly need songwriting theory, which is working on your understanding of people's emotions, it's something that's mostly learned by making songs, experimenting and hanging out with the right people.

the most important thing about music theory is to throw it away once you learned and internalized it.
Analytical thinking in songwriting will get in your way, it must be instinctive.

arnol adam says:

Keep a video for how to create melodies for pop ballad songs

Reothadh says:

Idk how timing or keys work in music, I can't seem to make any of the things i come up with stick together to make an actual song

Akyel Collier says:

Music theory help a LOT of u know it

Kim Sangma says:

Exactly, after learning theory I have forgotten about emotions and now concerned about systems…but theory does broaden your intellectual ability to handle music.

QWERTY RECORDS says:

That was very useful to come out from this rabit hole of thinking like "i can't write music without theory"

I wrote some amazing pieces of music without theory. But when I think like that – I can't do anything. Thank you for perfect explanation

Totis says:

I just want to write the lyrics for the song. Do I need to study Music Theory? Can I not sell lyrics? Do I need to have a whole song?

Splotch the Cat-Thing says:

I love to write up my own take on these, you guys know that.
Music theory is a tool like any instrument or any other sort of knowledge. Like any other tool if you use it well and intelligently you can add things to your music that you wouldn't have been able to add otherwise. And like any tool if you overuse it or rely too much on it all your music is going to start sounding like the same song over and over.

At the end of the day, you just have to be sure to remember that you're the one in control of the tools you use — the tools aren't in control of you.

Mike Pawlik says:

Here's a tip. Learn songs. Lots of songs. Once you can not learn a song within a few minutes then you know you've reached a pretty good point. This will take about 5-6 years. Now learn songs that take you 2-3 days to learn. Now you're leveling up! Keep going.

Most get stuck on this level forever, however, and that's where theory will be necessary.

Elisa Campofiloni says:

Ever heard of Brainarm full compositional coaching?
What do you think personally of this new technique/praxis for non-musicians?
They say you can compose without any theory or piano technique as they provide the knowhow…
I can see there are very good reviews online, also on the website
they say you can try Brainarm and get refunded if not satisfied.
Has anyone tried it yet?

Jake Williams says:

I find theory is useful in breaking out of song writing ruts. I gives me different ideas to play with that I can eventually start incorporate in to my playing once I understand them.

Jon Tattum says:

Beatles knew a lot about music theory. Paul and George were practicing Bach together on the guitar when they were teenagers. They didn't just manage to stumble upon all of the seamless key changes that occur in their music.

Zadawn says:

4:114:17 Jazz writers in a nutshell.

Ryan Leslie says:

I tried to learn some theory and have in the past, but I never reinforced what I learned and now I play everything by ear. It allows my passion to show and put emotion into what I play. I would love to learn more for improved musical communication, but I love experimenting with sounds and improvising on the spot. My fear is that I would start over analysing everything and that would kill my passion. If you check out my videos, they are all improvised on the spot using my ear. Does anyone have any advice on what I should look into learning that hopefully won't kill my passion. I really do find theory boring and love actually playing interesting stuff and making music.

Kostas1601 says:

How do you possibly make a chord progression without knowing what chords go together being consistent in a certain key?
I am a guitar player interested in songwriting who has never written a song but has tried a few times. I don't know a lot about music theory.

jivan bansi says:

George Martin knew what he was doing.

Nick Taylor says:

Nope. Gets in the way. Paralysis by Analysis,

"music theory was not made for creating music, it was made for studying music"

I hate to be so direct, but you are really good at this.

kuku muniu says:

Could You make videos about 3rd and 7th mode of double harmonic major?

3rd mode – Ultraphrygian (g#, a, b, c, d#,e,f)
7th mode – Locrian bb3 bb7 ( d#,e,f,g#, a,b, c )

What are the diatonic chords in this scales
what is the function of chords on the following degrees of this scales
how look like chord progressions emphasizing the character of this scales
how to play and compose using this sound material etc etc

Or about full extended chords(scales)
cegbdfa /cdefgab
dfacegb /defgabc
egbdfac / efgabcd etc etc πŸ™‚

how to use them during improvisation and composing
to emphasize characteristic notes (characteristic mood)for chosen scale

You know what I mean?

c ionian – 4&7 degree (f,b)
d dorian- 3&6 degree(f,b)
e phrygian – 2&5 (f,b)
f lydian – 4&7 (b,e)
g mixo. – 3&7 (b,f)
a aeolian – 2&6 (b,f)
b locrian – 2&5 (c,f)

I need knowledge to write music, theory is inspiring πŸ˜€

Greg cross says:

Music is so dumbed down anyone can do it πŸ™‚

Jmndmb32 says:

What’s musical theory?

Janeen Clark says:

music is not what you hear in the end, that is sound over time, music is a language a structure a LANGUAGE.
we do love our sounds though! but with a developed ear if a pop song is entirely in one key the whole time a developed ear just hears a single note ringing out .

Janeen Clark says:

no, but you can make sounds that change over time and most people are happy enough with that.
this is what you can do with music theory