Do Song Lyrics Have to Rhyme?

Download the EP plus special bonuses (like multi-tracks and lyric sheets) for FREE at: https://www.homestudiocorner.com/amen

LISTEN: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8i35_thZU6WDe9JclnpJl_ZmxqoCMzXc

#Songwriting #Rhyming

*****
CONNECT WITH ME:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/joegildermusic
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/joegildermusic
Home Studio Corner: http://www.homestudiocorner.com
Music: http://www.joegildermusic.com

Comments

Abel says:

Great video. I was taught in a songwriting course to use true rhymes for more stable confident feel and non rhymes or distance rhymes for an unstable suspended feel.

Eric Phillips says:

Aside from the rhyming schemes, I've got a new appreciation for the content of your songs. It's an intriguing story. Thanks for sharing it.

Armin Fatol says:

I think the importance of rhyme fades a bit, if the cadence of lyrics is good and keep up with the rhythm of the song. So yeah, I agree with you.

jajajaja says:

So many classic pearl jam songs don't rhyme at all

Gregory Payton says:

Thanks for sharing Joe. Love the new EP!!!

jake hurley says:

Great message in the lyrics – nicely done!

YourFavouriteColor says:

Rhyming a word with itself is an "absolute rhyme."

A "perfect rhyme" is a rhyme in which all consonant and vowel sounds are the same after the last stressed syllable.

Simple perfect rhymes are the ones we all know i.e. moon, june, spoon.

"Dictatorship," for example, has a lot of consonants and vowels after its last stressed syllable. "atorship." There are no perfect rhymes for this word, because no other english words end in "atorship." Stephen Colbert once joked that "dictatorship" and "potatochip" are rhymes, but they're imperfect slant rhymes.

Tastier perfect rhymes are, in my opinion, the best kinds of rhymes. Stephen Sondheim is the master of unexpected perfect rhymes.

In West Side Story, he uses an ingenious technique. The Jets are singing about the Sharks. The Jets have Bronx accents, so they pronounce "Puerto Rican(reekin)" as "Puerto rikkin." Because the character with an accent uses that word, he's able to use the perfect rhyme, "cause every Puerto [Rikken]'s a lousy CHICKEN."

Mixing word types is another way to get good perfect rhymes. "Shelves" most obviously rhymes with "elves," or "themselves," which are plural nouns. If you're referring to a pair of women's jeans, you get a singular noun via "twelves." "Shelves" and "twelves" has some electricity to it because when you hear that rhyme lock in it's unexpected yet inevitable.

William Edmonds says:

ok those first 2 lines are running like a loop in my head all day! love your lyrics bro (Oh and the music is awesome too)

Strange Happenings says:

I aways write my songs like I am writing a poem, It makes writing structure and lyric rhymes of the songs more easy to get the whole song to come together.

Jacob Costa says:

Joe I love your videos! Just mixed the one song from your EP and would love to get my hands on the rest of the multi tracks! Keep up the good work!

Satilla gtr says:

Excellent song writing!

Tim Kearsley says:

GREAT STUFF Joe taken on board by the the way love the email about crickets i was the same 10 bloody years to get an album together an almost zero comments from friends musicians i know but you hit the nail on the head thanks for that by the way love the new EP

steve rosbotham says:

One of my favourite things is coming up with a clever little rhyme. Sometimes I’ve found that I can come up with a single line for a song, or a title then have to work backwards from that as to what the song is actually about. Like you say, there are no real rules, to me, that’s the fun of it all!

1982LHERNANDEZ says:

Hey Joe congratulations on the new EP. So I have a question you’ve released a good amount of songs with good arrangements, good mixes what is the purpose of you releasing music is it just for the sake of getting better at mixing or is being a touring musician and performing your songs live the main goal? Do you want to be know as a Dave Pesado or a Joe Bonamassa ?