15 Songwriting Tips For Beginners! (Songwriting 101)

In this songwriting 101 tutorial, learn 15 songwriting tips for beginners! Download the cheat sheet here: https://www.patreon.com/dylanlaine // Don’t forget… ⬇︎

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Your Next Steps!

1. Download Song Sheets and Cheat Sheets:

2. Schedule a Skype Lesson (Ukulele/Voice/Songwriting):

3. Buy the Greatest Ukulele Ever (the same as mine!):

4. Book Dylan Laine for a Church Event or Service
email: dylanlainemusic@gmail.com

Get In Touch!

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/dylan.laine
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dylanlainemusic

Hi, my name is Dylan Laine and my mission is to inspire you to play, write, and spread the light! I create Ukulele Tutorials, Songwriting Tutorials, Cover Songs, and Original Songs. In 2010, I received my degree in Songwriting from Berklee College of Music, and have 19+ years education in piano, voice, guitar, and ukulele. When I’m not making YouTube videos, I work full time as a Private Music Instructor, both locally and through Skype. I also enjoy performing at Church Events and Services.

Booking: dylanlainemusic@gmail.com

Comments

Dylan Laine says:

The free Cheat Sheet is now up! https://www.patreon.com/dylanlaine

Sabrina Pena Young says:

Thank you for the great video Dylan…especially the honesty.

Justin Miller says:

Wow! There were a lot a good tips packed into this video. This TOTALLY helped me. Thanks Dylan!

Daryl Pang says:

Can someone help me check whether I'm doing it right? I've just released my first song but I'm not sure whether I'm on the right track :/ thanks

Poppetlover25 says:

You're so happy, and so am I because I found this video! I'm getting a ukelele soon, and I would like to be somewhat like a mix of Grace Vanderwaal and Lorde. <3

JoeDickie says:

I have a tip! It’s best to play random chords and random lyrics whatever comes in to your head.

JoeDickie says:

I love Joni Mitchell too

Casting Pearls says:

just a couple things I wanted to say. Well, one is that for the critiques if you are giving a critique be as nice as possible. Or not say anything discouraging. two well you need to feel what your writing it might not come from what you are feeling in your life. But if you don't feel it, no one will feel it. Cause it will taste dry. So if you're getting bored and not feeling the piece don't work on it or save it for later! don't force yourself to write something you yourself can't feel. Like writing a bad break up song. I never had a really bad breakup before. But I can feel the same emotions behind losing someone you loved or that love turning into hate. But if you're writing a song about falling in love and you're trying to go for the more 'call me maybe' thing. But only experienced serious kind of falling in love. Only try the 'call me maybe' kind of song if you feel the emotions. Cause if not it's going to sound bad and or you are going to get bored.

xero spacious says:

Try dwitching to the piano. It's that easy aye xD

le libanais says:

you're amazing!

Anna Low says:

Yes groan point 4 would have been so helpful to know when I started. I always write lyrics and music and then end up with a weird half-song (meh, point 11). Titles are so important as well (cringe I have a bunch stuck with practically the same name!) Thank you Dylan, this was very encouraging.

Michelle Theodora says:

Hi Dylan! I live in Indonesia. Your ukulele tutorials really encourage me to buy an ukulele. I'm looking for an ukulele but I am still struggling which type of ukulele that I should buy. Could I use your tutorial for a different type of ukulele? I worry if I buy a different type of ukulele (not the same as yours) the sound and chords will be different, if that so, I worry I can't use your tutorials 🙁

Please kindly advise me, whether I should buy a concert or soprano ukulele..

Jacob Goudreault says:

Man ive been writing for years and ive never heard of a bunch of these. thanks! 🙂

Sara Gruver says:

when you said that you've been songwriting for twenty years I was really shocked, you look like a teenager!

Wang Jie says:

i love you ! welcome to China!

Zoe J says:

You're awesome I just subbed!

BrianOfficialMusic says:

You are really a help because I am a songwriter/singer myself and I need more info like you've mentioned in this video. I am also applying to Berklee College of Music as well! Can we please be friends? You are so talented.

Twenty Paphonies says:

Something I do:  I like to keep a small notebook with me at all times.  When I'm having a conversation and I hear a really great sentence, or I suddenly get an idea, I write it down as soon as it happens.  I've gotten all of my best songs from this simple way of starting.

Twenty Paphonies says:

That moment when you listen to scream and punk rock, but you play indie pop

drifter grey says:

Your eyes are beautiful

Satwik Yelike Music says:

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so glad that I found you!!! This is so really inspiring & makes me wanna believe in my skills!!! Keep doing what you love!!! Sending you so much love from INDIA!!!❤ Thank you so much for this video!!! It's gonna be so helpful for me❤❤❤

Linda says:

dear dylan,
I like to play how far ill go, and I just like to write my own songs

eL_Dorada says:

me: research about writing and composing songs
also me: I can't even play a single instrument

HELP ME T^T

Linda says:

sorry i meant i play ukulele too!

Linda says:

dear Dylan,
i play ukulele too?

heatherm747 says:

I loved this it helped me so much. I have a feeling I will have to come back and watch this again!

alphasxsignal says:

How do you know which form should be used for the song.

alphasxsignal says:

Thankyou for the print sheet file.