How Koji Kondo Writes Creepy Music

I take a look at some old Zelda Dungeon music to find out how series composer Koji Kondo kept us unsettled.

PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/8bitmusictheory
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/8bitMusicTheory

Comments

Andrew Stirling says:

The music for the Spirit Temple never made me feel uneasy. It gave me the sense that this was a holy, sacred place.

Julia Estrada says:

You should do a video on the Pokémon mystery dungeon series! But only the rescue teams or explorers of time/darkness/sky. Most of the good songs with interesting base lines are in these games and the newer 3ds games tended to just rehash the original songs. If you made a video on them I’m sure everyone would be super hyped.

Valor- says:

I can't get enough of these videos. Always have appreciated Nintendo music and how they make you FEEL like you are truly there! Whether it's creepy, energetic, intense, etc. I would LOVE to see a video on Metroid music! The original, Super Metroid, and the Prime series specifically. Kenji Yamamoto did one hell of a job immersing you in the world. Metroid music (mixed with the locales) truly makes you feel alone, like a bounty hunter would be.

Anyway, keep up the amazing work!

Sunhat Grooves says:

I think part of Ocarina of Time’s water temple difficulty was the music. I almost went insane after hearing it for an hour straight.

DubiousTemp says:

As a non musical person this is both a frustrating yet highly interesting video to watch. Makes me wish I knew what all these terms meant.

Cole Smith says:

In my opinion the snowhead temple wasn't too creepy compared to other in game songs.

Herbert Jenkins says:

I think you should try analyzing the game over and death themes of various games and game series. Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, so on…

Markus Machado says:

The ghost mansion bassy song from Super Mario 64 is probably his creepiest work ever.

Voltaire Slapadelic says:

thank you for explaining Uncanny Valley in a way that is understandable and not just assuming the whole audience has taken animation classes

Chef8898 says:

Can you please analyze Matt Uelmens Diablo 2 + WoW Burning Crusade music?

Foxforch says:

Most unsettling song composed by Kondo to me is either Sharp's Curse or The End Of The World.

Joosh says:

Great job, as always! I think it would be cool to see a video on the Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon series.

David Pemberton says:

Imagine if timbre was a part of music theory. It'd be crazy how much it could explain.

fuggy says:

It's refreshing to see someone with background in music theory dissecting these melodies I am so familiar with. It gives me a renewed appreciation of the craftsmanship behind these old games I've played a hundred times by now.

Benjamin Morren says:

Is this kind of like the music "Game Theory" channel?

Archelon SSBM says:

I guess City in the Sky from Twilight princess was excluded because it was impossible to analyze musically? It's got to be one of the most unsettling pieces of music I've ever heard.

Gala Pregel says:

I found Forest temple theme the most unsetling. And also Ikana theme from Majora's mask

Michel Salazar says:

CAn anybody tell me what the name of the song playing on the background at 1:00 is?

Ivan Nakamae says:

Hey 8-bit Music Theory, please make a video on motifs variation or nostalgic recall of motifs for storytelling in Celeste! There are two main motifs that are introduced early in the game and suffer modifications while the story progresses. At the last chapter though both are combined and the tune have different instrumentations for each previous chapter it recalls. I think it would make an interesting episode!
Greetings!

Axol The Axolotl says:

Another interesting topic would be on maqams, or Arab scales.

jior6 says:

Literally every single musical piece from Ocarina of Time is iconic.

Garrick Woods says:

Big fan of the channel. Also a DMA and music professor. What is this perfect fourth not existing in the harmonic series stuff you're saying? It's right there between the 3rd and 4th harmonics: a 4:3 ratio. With C as fundamental C->C (octave) -> G (P5) -> C (P4). When you say "look it up," what do you mean? Where is a source that refutes its clear existence right there on your graphic and everywhere else?