Dr. B Music Theory Lesson 35 (Secondary Dominants)

TOPICS:
0:00 – The power of the V-I progression & tonicization
2:25 – Primary vs. secondary dominants
3:53 – Altered chords
4:20 – Spelling secondary dominant chords
7:23 – All possible secondary dominants in a major and minor key
17:59 – Analyzing secondary dominant chords
21:03 – Harmonic progression and secondary dominants
25:24 – Chaining secondary dominants
27:26 – Deceptive resolutions using secondary dominants
30:08 – Voice-leading secondary dominants
33:17 – Realizing figured bass that includes secondary dominants

Comments

Janine FanJiang says:

thank you Dr.B for saving my life

Patrick Villela says:

I don't know if this is advanced or plainly inadequate, but could we deceptively resolve a secondary dominant to a vi instead of the I? Like, in C major, instead of the progression being D->G, could it be D->E-?

And as always, thank you so much for these lectures!!! I already noticed a greater ease in writing harmony lines (not so good yet, but well, let's study more)!

EDIT: I read again and thought it was complicated, so I'm gonna try to explain again, because even I got confused.

When we have the tonicization, we have V/V -> V, for example, and we could, theoritecally, rename V to I/V. Could we have, so, vi/V instead of I/V?

I don't know how to make this explanation simpler, maybe I don't have the vocabulary for this. I hope I could make myself clear 🙂 Thank you so so much!!

pixelatedparcel says:

Why have I not watched more of your content, since picking up the guitar (and music theory) one year ago? Because I'm an idiot, that's why. Absolutely fantastic content.

andrewnorris1 says:

Dear Dr B. I discovered your videos recently and have been working my way through them. I just wanted to thank you for uploading these brilliant tutorials. I have watched many other youtubers explain music theory but no one comes close to your clear and concise explanations. You have a great gift for imparting this wisdom and it has been a real pleasure to follow these videos of your. Thank you SO much. You make music theory fun and exciting again.

Casey Van says:

'Ophelia' by the Band is a good example in popular music. Instead of having a secondary dominant, then it's diatonic chord, it has one secondary dominant after another in a descending 5ths. So it's in the key of C, but goes C E7 A7 D7 G then back to I.

I | V7/vi | V7/ii | V7/V | V7

Lauren Mueller says:

Dr. Brellochs! I'm so happy you have videos up here, and secondary dominants have been killing me when I have to analyze classical pieces. This definitely a different approach than the one I was taught. Thanks for the help 🙂

Sarah Ryan says:

Thank you thank you!!!! So helpful.

tomandmarley says:

amazing video! thank you so such!! subscribed

alfredo olivera de la vega says:

Dr B…you are amazing!!!!!!you have the great power of explaining subjects in a very smooth and understanding fashion…thank you so much!!!

estarlingful says:

These are fun and they sound great! love your examples

Josiah Garrett says:

I cant explain how much your videos help. Stuck with a professor with a lack of passion and this quality of work helps so much with learning on my own. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Janeen Clark says:

you amazing instructor

jojoluvsyoux says:

This helped with my harmony homework, thank you!!

Mahmmuod Abu Warda says:

Good lesson Dr. B, thank you a lot.